In the greater Hartford region, there are a number of outstanding middle school, high school, and after school jazz programs that are helping to create our next generation of talented jazz musicians. The Greater Hartford Academy of the Arts, the Hall High School Jazz Program, the Northwest Catholic Big Band, and the Jackie McLean Youth Jazz Orchestra at the Artists Collective are but a few of these excellent, award-winning programs.
In recognition of the diligence and talent of these up-and-coming student musicians, the Hartford Jazz Society offers several annual scholarships to high school seniors who plan to attend college and major in music with an interest in jazz. Two to three scholarships are awarded annually with an award value up to $3000.00.
The HJS does not require live auditions and the deadline to apply for these scholarships is May 1st.
HJS Scholarship Selection Criteria:
- Graduating high school senior
- Connecticut Capitol Region resident
- Attending a four-year college or university
- Music major with interest in jazz
- Talent as judged by a panel
Complete the General Scholarship Application and include:
- A one page summary of the applicant’s musical background and accomplishments
- A CD or thumb drive with recordings of the applicant reading and improvising music
- Two letters of reference, at least one from a music teacher or school music director.
Submit (by postal mail) to:
Hartford Jazz Society, Inc.
Chairperson, Scholarship Committee
116 Cottage Grove Road
Bloomfield, CT 06002
The HJS scholarship application form is available in both Acrobat PDF and Microsoft Word formats. Click on one of the two documents below to download your preferred version, then print and complete the form and mail it the Hartford Jazz Society at the address above.